I was approached by my best friend Cole a few months before his wedding and asked to officiate the ceremony. After sleeping on it for 24 hours (highly recommended) I agreed, and immediately started writing the speech. I started doing research and found a few other people had documented their experiences (which helped me tremendously) so I decided to do the same. I've included links to both my wedding speech and best mans speech below.
1) Interview both the bride and groom separately.
- Get both sides of the story (I've included a list of interview questions for download below). Make sure you don't interview them together, talk to them separately. Through this interview process, hopefully you can uncover some thoughts/feelings/stories which you can work into the speech. Ideally, you'd like to get a good story out of one of them which the other might not know about.
- I used the template below and added my own personal story. [download speech template below]
- I wanted my speech to be a surprise for the bride and groom so I didn't go over any of it with them beforehand, however, I did ask the couple about their vows. I gave them a few different vow options and they choose which one they wanted. This was the only part of the speech which they knew about before-hand.
- I read my speech 10x times to 6x different people before the big day. Every time I read it, I noticed improvements. Every person I gave the speech to gave me important pieces of feedback. I recommend practicing as much as possible.
- I modified the template of an MS Word document and printed out the speech on a thick piece of card-stock paper (8.5"x11" cut in half). [download card-stock MS Word Template below]
- Make sure you ask about the key details:
- What is the microphone situation?
- Are you using a lavalier mic or do you have to hold it? Is there a mic stand?
- Is the ceremony being recorded? Can you feed the mic sound to the video camera?
- Will the bride and groom be mic'd up?
- Is there a lectern or a podium?
- Where are you going to put your notecards, on a stand or will you hold them?
- Go to the "American Marriage Ministries" website: https://theamm.org.
(#PROTIP: You don't need to pay the $35, that's for the optional 'marriage-kit' which you don't need.)
Wedding Video preview (3min)
MORE: I also gave a best man speech, check out the "How to Write and Deliver a Best Man Speech" here.
Brian Moseley's Best Man Speech for Cole Mandl [video]